[A message by PASTOR IDOWU ILUYOMADE at Digging for Gold Service on Tuesday, February 12, 2019]
JOHN 3:1 – "There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews."
PSALM 91:10-13 - "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet."
Examples of the Operations of Angels in Scriptures
Most times when our enemies are too powerful for us or the root cause of our problems is spiritual, God dispatches His angels to assist us. The following are some examples of the operation of angels in scriptures.
1. Angels are sent to rescue from trouble: Acts 12 records that King Herod Agrippa persecuted the early church. He killed James with a sword and when Herod saw how much this pleased the Jews, he also arrested Peter and imprisoned him. He placed him under the guard of four squads of four soldiers each. But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed earnestly for him. The night before Peter was to be publicly tried and executed; he was asleep, fastened with two chains between two soldiers. Suddenly, there was a bright light in the cell, and an angel of the LORD smote Peter on the side to awaken him and said, “Quick! Get up!” And the chains fell off his wrists. All the guards were put into a deep sleep. Then the angel told him, “Get dressed and put on your sandals, coat and follow me.” Peter followed the angel, but he thought it was a vision. They passed the first and second guard posts and came to the iron gate leading to the city, and this opened for them all by itself. So, they passed through and started walking down the street, and then the angel suddenly left him.
2. Angels can help in decision making: Matthew 1:18-25 records that Mary the mother of Jesus was betrothed to Joseph, but before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit; and her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to put her away quietly. Then an angel appeared to him in a dream and explained to him that all this was for the fulfilment of prophecy that a virgin would bear a child who was to be the Saviour (Isaiah 7:14), and Joseph did what the angel of the LORD had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. This shows that angels can help us in decision making so that we will not make mistakes. Sometimes, you may have problems in making decisions, e.g. whom to marry or whether to take a job. Thus, it is important to receive divine assistance when making decisions.
3. Angels are sent sometimes to execute judgement: In 1 Chronicles 21, Satan incited David to number Israel and an angel killed Seventy Thousand (70,000) people in less than three days. Also, when Herod gave a speech and the people declared that it was the voice of God, the angel of the LORD struck him and he was immediately eaten by worms because he did not give God the glory (the preeminence and kingly majesty that belong to Him as the supreme Ruler. (Acts 12:21-23). In 2 Kings 19:25, one angel killed One Hundred and Eighty-Five Thousand (185, 000) people. When God wants to execute His judgment, He sends His warrior angels. Indeed, the Bible calls them the angel of death, evil angels or angels of calamity. Psalm 78:49 says “He let loose upon them the fierceness of His anger, His wrath and indignation and distress, by sending a mission of angels of calamity and woe among them.” God will dispatch His destroying angels to chase, persecute your enemies and inflict judgment on them (Psalm 35:1-7).
4. Angels are sent to warn us of impending danger: In addition, God was angry with Sodom and Gomorrah and he wanted to destroy the city. That evening, two angels came to Sodom to warn Lot of the impending danger and asked him to leave with his family. When he delayed needlessly, the angels seized his hand, and the hands of his wife and daughters, and brought them out of the city. (Genesis 19:12-15). Stop perambulating. See what God has started to do, and act now. May you receive a “holy push” into the new things He has started.
5. Angels are sent to give instructions: An angel gave the mothers of Prophet Samuel and John-the-Baptist special instructions on how to raise them. Some parents force their children to pursue careers that are not their destiny. If parents do not heed to the instructions of God on their children, they would mess up the destinies of the child. You can make mistakes, but God can reveal to you and give you instructions on what is right to do in accordance with His plan and purpose for your life. Walt Disney was kicked out of his job for not being creative, but all things worked together for his good. Sometimes when you lose your job, it is because God wants you to start your business or open greater doors of opportunity for you.
6. Angels are sent to speak God’s words: In Acts 27, Paul was involved in a shipwreck, and in the middle of the storm when everybody had given up, an angel appeared to him and said ‘Paul, do not be afraid. You must stand before Caesar. And God has promised you that he will save the lives of everyone sailing with you.’ The storm lasted several days, their ship broke into two, they were hungry, they saw death, and lost hope, but the angel of God brought them divine enlargement and protection. Do not give up, that thing you believe God for is already at your door, and it will open in Jesus Name!
Finally, this is a good year and God has started to do new things, but to receive divine assistance, you need to be on the LORD’s side. The angels are sent to minister to only the heirs of salvation. The only antidote for sin is the Blood of Jesus. If you are not born again, and you are willing to repent and surrender your life to Jesus Christ, then pray this prayer right now: "LORD Jesus, I come to You right now. I know I am a sinner, please forgive me my sins. I plead the Blood of Jesus to wash me clean of all my sins. With my mouth, I confess that Jesus is LORD, and I believe that God raised Him from the dead. From today, I accept You as the LORD of my life. Please change my heart from a disobedient heart to a heart that obeys you, fill me with the Holy Spirit, write my name in the Book of life, and make me brand new in Jesus Mighty Name."
This is an excerpt, to get the complete message in CD & DVD, please visit the Word & Sound stand or visit the sermons podcast on our website.